Nurturing the self worth
and potential of all…
Matthew Gibney Catholic Primary School is a school dedicated to making a valued difference in the lives of our children. We trust that when people look back at the time spent in our school they cherish fond memories of a genuine and faithful community, ‘Under God’s Protection’ always.
All curriculum subjects at Matthew Gibney are taught in accordance with the Western Australia’s School Curriculum and Authority Standards. These are aligned with the Australian Curriculum.
• Humanities and Social Sciences (Geography, History, Civics and Citizenship, Economics)
• The Arts
• Health and Physical Education
Remote Learning Plan
The Matthew Gibney Catholic Primary School Distance Learning Plan describes how we will ensure that learning and community connectedness continues in the event of a school closure for a period of time. The aim of this plan is for the school to continue to provide an effective and meaningful education for students, in collaboration with their teachers and with the support of parents and caregivers.
At Matthew Gibney we aim to ensure that the students are competent and confident in using computers to support and enhance their learning. Students have access to a range of technology such as iPads, laptops, desktops, cameras and recording devices. This technology assists us to integrate Information and Communication Technology into all aspects of the curriculum. Interactive Whiteboards (IWB’s) are installed in all classrooms. Interactive TV and Apple TV’s are also used by staff and students. Our school is fully networked, with each classroom containing multiple networked devices. Each week, the students from K-6 are taught Digital Technology lessons in the computer lab.
To cater effectively for the diverse needs of our students, we have a range of special programs including:
• Reading Recovery
• Extending Mathematical Understandings (EMU)
• Intensive Reading Program
• CARS & STARS Reading Program
• CAMS & STAMS Mathematics Program
Music and Performing Arts
Children at Matthew Gibney enjoy the creative and performing arts through class-based Art, Music and Drama classes and also have opportunities to participate in a broad range of artistic endeavours as part of the co-curricular programme. Each year the school is well represented in the Catholic Performing Arts Festival.
A private music tutor works at Matthew Gibney, one day per week. This initiative provides specialist music tuition in the keyboard. This is an optional addition at the school for families wishing to involve their children. These sessions are within school hours and are organised on a cyclic timetable to minimise disruption to student learning. This initiative has been well supported by the school community.
We aim to develop the whole child and offer various extracurricular services and activities for our students:
• A Chaplaincy Worker/Counsellor – 2 days per week
• Weekly “Well-Being”, “Mindfulness” and “Bullying Prevention” classes (PP-6)
• Mini Vinnies (Young St Vincent De Paul Program) (Year 5)
• Student Leadership Program (Year 6).
• “EduDance” Program (PP – 6)
• Junior Cross Country (PP – 2)
• Junior Athletics Carnival (PP – 2)
• Senior Cross Country (Years 3-6)
• Senior Athletics Carnival (Years 3-6)
• Whole School Cool Pool Day (PP – 6)
• Interschool Cross Country (Years 3-6)
• Interschool Athletics (Years 3-6)
• Interschool Winter Sports Carnival (Years 5-6)
• Cricket Carnival (Year 6)
• Yearly musical and instrumental incursions (K-6)
• Yearly Incursions eg Life Education Van, Constable Care
• Catholic Performing Arts Festival (dance, drama, singing, instruments) at Archdiocesan level.
• Strong links with Feeder High Schools, including Galileo Program with La Salle College, Robotics and Virtual Reality with Mazenod College.