A few parents are crossing the road with their children, after school, away from the supervised pedestrian crossing. The drive through is always busy between 2.45pm and 3.20pm and crossing in front of the traffic is dangerous. Please take the time to cross the road at the pedestrian crossing.
Pre-Kindy and Kindy Enrolments 2022
Pre-Kindy and Kindy enrolments for 2022 are filling up quickly. Current families are reminded that an enrolment form is required for Kindy and Pre-Kindy before your child can be added to our lists for 2022. Please come into the office to collect an enrolment form or download a form available on our website. https://www.gibney.wa.edu.au/enrolment/
P&F 30th Anniversary Quiz Night
It has been wonderful to see the generosity of our families with the donations for the P&F Quiz Night. The donations box is in the administration office for parents who have not yet donated, and would like to do so. In particular, the committee could do with further hamper style donations, e.g. chocolates, wine, hand creams etc. Please consider purchasing a table of 10 tickets for the Quiz Night and come along to enjoy what promises to be a fun evening.
In Term One a number of parents, staff and students provided feedback to a review panel who visited the school to conduct our Cyclic Review. The review occurs every 5 years and provides valuable information to the school about our progress over the past few years and assists with setting goals for future improvement. Some of the key affirmations in the areas of Catholic Identity and Education from the review are:
- The integration of faith, life and culture is evident in all aspects of school life.
- The school provides a safe and welcoming environment, where all members of the community experience genuine belonging and connectedness.
- The Making Jesus Real (MJR) program encourages students at Matthew Gibney Catholic Primary School to act in a way that is consistent with the words, actions and teachings of Jesus.
- There is a well-established and strong school and parish relationship and respectful solutions sought to address any concerns. The Parish Priest is a regular visitor to the school with every effort being made to overcome the challenges of the St Francis of Assisi church being 4km away in Maida Vale.
- The co-operative facilitation of the Sacrament preparation programs is evidence of the church and school working in unison.
- The Panel found that there was a strong whole-school approach to the introduction and teaching of Literacy throughout the school.
- Along with the focus on Writing, staff identified that there was also a focus on the development of good teaching strategies in Mathematics.
- Parents were particularly pleased with teachers sending through the weekly/fortnightly Learning Intentions as this helps them to become more involved in and aware of the learning foci for their children.
- The variety of assessments used throughout the school ensure that staff conversations are targeted and aimed at identifying the needs of the students. The rich data sources also ensure that the school is not reliant solely on NAPLAN to track growth.
Religious Education News
Making Jesus Real Week 4 Term 2
Everyone needs a bit of encouragement from time to time, and often people aren’t as confident as they seem. Often the people who appear the most calm and confident are also questioning themselves and in need of a boost. So how do we know who needs encouragement and who doesn’t? Probably the answer is that we can’t always know, so try and give EVERYONE a bit of encouragement just in case!
- Do you surround yourself with encouragers, or with discouragers?
- Do you practice positive self-talk or do you practice negative self-talk? In other words, do you build yourself up or do you tear yourself down?
- Who in your life, needs encouragement right now? How can you encourage them?
Year Five Good News
The Year Five class have been learning about Europe in Humanities and Social Sciences (HASS). We looked at lines and patterns used in the architecture of St Basil’s Cathedral in Moscow!
P&F Meeting Dates Term Two
Meeting dates for the P&F during Term Two are:
- Monday 24th May 2.00pm
- Wednesday 23rd June 7.30pm
During Term Two the P&F will be preparing for the 30th Anniversary Quiz Night. Your support at the meetings would be greatly appreciated.
Dates for Term Two
Thursday 13th May
- Feast of the Ascension
- 2.30pm Kindy Mother’s Day Afternoon
Friday 14th May
- 9.00am Merit Award Assembly
Tuesday 18th May
- Year 5 Excursion
Wednesday 19th May
- 6.00pm School Advisory Council Meeting
Friday 21st May
- Year 5 and Year 6 Sacred Saints Interschool Sport Afternoon
Saturday 22nd May
- 8.00 – 11.00am Busy Bee
Sunday 23rd May
- Pentecost Sunday